Putting archive and contemporary photographs of the same landmark side-by-side, Dallas Then and Now®? provides a visual chronicle of the city's pastJohn Neely Bryan built the first cabin on the side of the Trinity River in 1841, and by 1845, when Texas was admitted to the Union, Dallas County and the town of Dallas were established, taking their name from President James K. Polk's vice-president George Mifflin Dallas. This collection uses vintage photographs chosen from nearly a million cataloged in the Dallas Public Library from the early days of photography up until the 1960s. Sites include Oak Cliff Viaduct, Founder's Cabin, the Old Red Courthouse, Dealey Plaza, Trinity River, Union Station, Lamar Street, Elm Street, Magnolia Petroleum building, Dallas Scottish Rite, the Adolphus Hotel, Love Field, Dallas Hall, and the State Fairgrounds.
About The Author
Ken Fitzgerald works in neighboring Fort Worth and has written and photographed features for railway periodicals for 30 years. He first wrote and photographed the original Dallas: Then and Now in 2000 and has now wholly revised and rephotographed the book a decade later. He lives in Benbrook, Texas.